Saturday, 19 April 2014

MAC Russian Red Lipstick: Review and Swatches

Mac Russian Red Matte Lipstick is a satin-finish, blue-toned deep red. It is slightly blue-based and cool-toned, but not noticeably purple; still a bold red. It is a colour with a lot of depth, making it wearable on fair complexions even though it is a dark, bold colour. It has a thick, highly pigmented consistency, and wears for several hours. It is marketed as a matte lipstick but it has a satin finish: it goes on fully opaque and there is a slight sheen to it.

In my opinion, this sheen combined with the thick texture of the lipstick produces a "crinkly" lip texture that I don't like. It's such a heavy feeling lipstick that I think a slightly more matte or fully matte finish would suit the colour better. I like the colour of the lipstick in the tube, but I don't think it suits me (pale, cool-toned skin) as much as some other dark reds do.

(I have done a comparison post with different reds here).

I would recommend this to anyone looking for a long-wearing, dark blue-red; however, I don't love the finish and I would like it more if it were actually matte. The satin finish looks fine in photos but is very crinkly and heavy looking in person.


Mac Russian Red Matte Lipstick: Photos:
(All photos taken in natural daylight, no photo editing,
on NW10 cool-toned skin)


No comments:

Post a Comment